Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Immortals DVD ~ Review

EPIC BATTLES COME TO LIFE ON STUNNING
BLU-RAY


Featuring Alternate Beginning and Endings Visually-Striking Film Explodes on 3D Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray Triple Play and DVD March 6



One brave warrior, touched by the gods, must overcome all odds to save mankind from a merciless and powerful tyrant when IMMORTALS comes to Blu-ray and DVD on March 6th from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. Directed by visionary filmmaker Tarsem Singh (The Cell, The Fall) and written by Charles Parlapanides and Vlas Parlapanides, the home entertainment release is chock-full of must-see bonus features including an alternate beginning, two alternate endings, deleted scenes and an amazing graphic novel, creating the ultimate viewing experience. 

From the producers of 300, Mark Canton, Gianni Nunnari, and Relativity’s CEO Ryan Kavanaugh, IMMORTALS explodes off the screen with action-packed battles, mythological adventure and an all-star cast including: Henry Cavill (Superman: Man of Steel), Luke Evans (Robin Hood), Kellan Lutz (Twilight), Isabel Lucas (Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen), Freida Pinto (Slumdog Millionaire), Stephen Dorff (Public Enemies), John Hurt (Hellboy) and Mickey Rourke (Iron Man 2). In this epic tale of vengeance and destiny, power-mad King Hyperion (Rourke) threatens to destroy all of humanity on his maniacal quest to obtain the ultimate weapon – the legendary Epirus Bow that gives the power to unleash war on both Heaven and Earth.  But Theseus (Cavill), a heroic young villager chosen by the gods, rises up to stop Hyperion’s brutal rampage.  With supernatural help from the beautiful oracle Phaedra (Pinto), Theseus embraces his destiny and leads a fierce band of warriors in a desperate fight for the future of mankind.



IMMORTALS is available on Blu-ray and DVD on March 6th and was theatrically-released by Relativity Media on November 11, 2011.



My (Hubby's) Opinion

(actually this is my wonderful husband's opinion, written by him, as I did not watch this movie with him)

I did like it a lot actually! It was very much in the style of 300 in its presentation. Dark colors, dirty and gritty in presentation, fighting was also as stylized but a little more realistic than in 300.


The acting was solid for the most part, a little overdone in some areas, but with this style that is the norm. The action scenes were very vivid and gritty. Gore was not too heavy, but blood was everywhere. Content is NOT for children, as it is an "R" rated movie, but not grotesque. The immortals were portrayed, in my opinion, a lot more modernly with younger actors. Instead of the mainstay venerable older actors portraying old wise gods, they chose to go with a younger selection of actors to play the main gods. Which I feel
is a bit more believable. If they are immortal then they would not be old. Zeus, as the father god, was a little older than the rest of the crew, but only a little older. I think they did this to have the audience feel the
fatherly role he took on in the film.

Several of the actors have been seen in other big movies. Kellan Lutz (from the twilight series. He plays the big bulky brother to Edward...can't remember his name), John Hurt (Harry Potter series as Ollivanders wand guy), Mickey Roark (Iron Man, Expendables, etc too many to list), Henry Cavill (most notably as the NEW superman which is in post production). Several of the other actors have been in films but mostly small or independent ones.

The story is very reminiscent of Clash of the Titans or The Odyssey, but with a more modern spin on it. This story does not rely too heavily on Greek mythos for it story, but instead uses it as a foundation for the story and then creates its own mythology.

Overall a very enjoyable film, if what you are looking for is decent acting paired with incredible battle scenes and respectable visual effects. Not quite what Troy or 300 was as a film, but easily on par with Clash of the
Titans (the remake).


Review written by my awesome husband JW
Thanks Babe!







*Disclaimer*  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention/review it on my blog. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own. Your experience with the product may differ from mine.

1 comment:

  1. I thought the graphics on Immortals were amazing. I wasn’t surprised though since it is from the producers of 300. It looked great in theaters, and I can only imagine how good it will look on a Blu-Ray. I am renting one from Blockbuster in a little while, and I can’t wait! Normally, I would have waited until it was sent to me in the mail using Blockbuster @Home, but since I have a real interest in Greek mythology, I think this movie has priority over others. I really like having Blockbuster @Home because with DVDs and Blu-Rays, I get streaming to my laptop, TV and iPad in places like the library or at DISH where I work. I am excited about seeing Immortals in Blu-Ray!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! I love to hear from you! Please keep in mind that while following My Crazy Life via GFC is not mandatory to enter giveaways, it is greatly appreciated so I can continue to bring you more awesome things! For any questions please see my official rules page

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...